Monday, November 10, 2008

The face of the new democracy:

Election 08

Last Monday, November 3rd, Adriana and I had the privilege of hanging door signs for Obama in Erie, PA. The neighborhood we were assigned was quiet and cute, the most ostentatious lawn displays being that of Steelers pride. (Did you know you could get a 4 ft. inflatable Steelers player for your front lawn? Why not?!) Adriana worked very hard, hanging the signs at almost every single house. Our route took us about four hours, and we were both a bit cranky by the time we were done, but after a pick-me-up piece of pizza back at volunteer headquarters (where I got that kickass IBEW poster), we decided we still had enough life in us to go see BILL CLINTON speak.

The middle row of pictures above are all from the Clinton event. On the left you see Adriana, thrilled to be waiting in line. In the center you see the crowds while the man himself was onstage. On the right you see a piece of the enormous American flag behind the podium extolling "Change We Need." That photo distills the entire campaign for me into one succinct image. As you may remember, I've been following Barack for a while, first proclaiming my love in January 2007. The highlight for me over the last two years was attending his rally in Washington Square Park, which I covered for HuffPo. But I must say, it was an honor to canvass for him, and to donate a meager $25 in the last hours of the campaign. I feel like I own a piece of his legacy now, something I'm proud to say my little daughter was also a part of.

CUE THE ANI DIFRANCO REFERENCE!

Here are the lyrics to paradigm:

i was born to two immigrants
who knew why they were here
they were happy to pay taxes
for the schools and roads
happy to be here
they took it seriously
the second job of citizenry
my mother went campaigning door to door
and holding to her hand was me

i was just a girl in a room full of women
licking stamps and laughing
i remember the feeling of community brewing
of democracy happening

but i suppose like anybody
i had to teach myself to see
all that stuff that got lost
on its way to church
all that stuff that got lost
on its way to school
all that stuff that got lost
on its way to the house of my family
all that stuff that was not lost on me

teach myself to see each of us
through the lens of forgiveness
like we're stuck with each other (god forbid!)
teach myself to smile and stop and talk
to a whole other color kid
teach myself to be new in an instant
like the truth is accessible at any time
teach myself it's never really one or the other
there's a paradox in every paradigm

i was just a girl in a room full of women
licking stamps and laughing
i remember the feeling of community brewing
of democracy happening